Sunday, April 14, 2013

Looney Tunes Racism

I think many parents envision their children playing with the same toys they did, going to the same places they liked going to, or watching the same cartoons as they watched as kids.  It's only natural to want to share the same joys you had growing up with your little one.

It is in that spirit that I purchased several Looney Tunes DVDs for Owen to watch when he gets a little older.

Imagine my surprise when I put in a DVD featuring Foghorn Leghorn and saw this:


I didn't remember anything racist from Foghorn Leghorn or any of the other Looney Tunes gang.  But sure enough, the 3rd episode into my viewing, I saw this gem of racism from old Foghorn.  I was shocked.  Don't believe me?  See for yourself....


As parents I guess we really have to be on our toes in regards what we expose our kids to, or at least be ready to explain why that thought process isn't correct.  Just because a cartoon/show is supposedly "wholesome" doesn't mean that you agree with (or want to pass along to your child) everything in it. 


1 comment:

  1. I've worked to combat that sort of thing by taking my oldest 2 to movies like 42...probably need to do Remember The Titans next. We have to be vigilant or our children will adopt the mindset of whatever they are exposed to...

    ReplyDelete