Wednesday, September 12, 2012

I Have To Be Careful With This Post

When Owen was a day old and still in the hospital, Emily and I were talking to the nurse who was in charge of watching him at that time.  She wasn't the first nurse to say it, but she blurted out, "He is just so cute." 

Every other time I heard that proclamation, I just took it as a matter of fact.  Of course he was cute.  I thought so too.  But then I started thinking, Doesn't every parent think their baby is cute?  Is there such a thing as an "ugly" baby?  Is it wrong of me to ask?  So, I did the unthinkable and I asked the nurse if she really thought Owen was cute or did she just say that to everyone.  She looked at me right in the eye, and said, "Not every baby is cute.....trust me."

This subject came up again recently when I saw a picture of a baby on Facebook that made me do a double take.  I called Emily over to see if I was seeing things correctly.  She confirmed.....it was.....an ugly baby.  (Please do not think that it was a picture of any of your babies.  It wasn't.  I promise.)

With all of this in my mind, I stumbled back on that awesome website Awkward Family Photos.com.  I was startled with what I found.  Check it out for yourself:


That picture led me actually googling "ugly baby".  (I'm not proud of myself.)



If you haven't seen the Seinfeld episode about the ugly baby, I highly encourage you to watch it.

1 comment: